Saturday, July 26, 2014

Baking for a Potluck @ Dr Chandra's Place

Three weeks ago, I thought about what to make during Dr Chandra's potluck dinner. But the thing is I'm a terrible cook based on my past experience. I tried making carbonara sauce from scratch but it tasted like vomit. I tried making claypot rice from scratch but it tasted like campbell soup rice. Despite the failures, I decide to give myself a second chance by registering for a baking class at ToTT cooking school. The class fee is costly. It is a 3 hour lesson at the price of S$106.

The title of the baking workshop is Japanese Pastry Class, featuring the Japanese Cheesecake, Sesame Cookies and Green Tea Swiss Roll. Our chef instructor is Vivian Pei and she loves teaching people cooking. You can check out her website at vivianpei.com

There are twelve students who registered for the class. I felt awkward at first because all my classmates are either couples or married housewives who set aside their free time to learn baking and we have to work in pairs. In the end, I paired up with Evelyn. She is a married working housewife whose passion is baking.

My cheesecake turned out to be a little soggy as some water happened to seep into the sides of the spring-form pan. Nonetheless, it tasted perfect apart from the slightly wet appearance which didn't look quite appealing. Here is what I brought to Dr Chandra's Place for the potluck.

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the cheesecake. Today is certainly one of the milestones in life that I will remember.

No comments: